[General boards] [Winter 2023 courses] [Fall 2022 courses] [Summer 2022 courses] [Older or newer terms]

NSERC USRA and UTEA Application Open - Deadline February 12, 2018

NSERC USRA

The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) Undergraduate Student Research Award
Program (USRA) and the University of Toronto Excellence Awards (UTEA) pay a student to do 16 weeks of research with a professor over the summer. This is a competitive process.

The USRAs will be decided on after we have all the applications and have matched students with supervisors; we expect to send the results by February 26th.

Duration: 16 consecutive weeks (typically 1 May – 31 August)
Value: $6000 (including NSERC/UofT and advisor’s contributions)
Eligibility: USRA and UTEA awards are open to second-year or higher full-time students who have a cumulative average of at least B+. USRA awards are open exclusively to Canadian citizens or permanent residents. UTEA awards are open to Canadian citizens or permanent residents, as well as foreign student with valid student visa for the full summer work term. Click here for full eligibility requirements.

Application Process

Deadline: February 12, 2018

This is a competitive process and there is no guarantee that your application will be selected.

Results will be announced by February 26th. Successfull applicants will be asked to submit a final version of their application by March 6th.

To submit an application, follow these steps:

1. Consult the list of available projects.
  2. Get your most current official transcript.Bring it to the Undergraduate Office in BA 4237 to be verified and scanned to you.
  3. Register for an account at NSERC’s online system.
  4. Read the application instructions and fill out Form 202 Part I. NSERC also provides a useful video tutorial that illustrates this process.
  5. Please adhere to NSERC’s General Presentation Guidelines. Any application not following these guidelines will be sent back to be redone.
  6. IMPORTANT: At this stage, DO NOT submit your application using NSERC online system. Instead, print and sign Form 202 Part I. You will submit it for review using the link provided in step 8 of this page.
  7. Create PDF versions of the signed Form 202 Part I (with only Part I completed) and your transcript (as sent to you by the Undergraduate Office).
  8. Click here to submit the above items and to indicate your project preferences.

UTEA

Deadline: Clossed for 2018
This is a competitive two stage process that involves an initial selection step at the Departmental level followed by a final decision step at the Faculty level. There is no guarantee that your application will be selected.

Results for the initial Departmental selection will be announced by March 14th. Successful applicants will be asked to submit a final version of their application by March 21st.

Selected applications will be forwarded to the Faculty of Arts and Sciences for competition. Final results will be announced by mid-April.

To submit an application, follow these steps:

1. Consult the list of available projects.
  2. Get your most current official transcript. Bring it to the Undergraduate Office in BA 4237 to be verified and scanned to you.
  3. Complete the Part I of the application form.
  4. Create PDF versions of the signed application form (Part I only) and your transcript (as sent to you by the Undergraduate Office).
  5. Click here to submit the above items and to indicate your project preferences.

Helpful Links

[General boards] [Winter 2023 courses] [Fall 2022 courses] [Summer 2022 courses] [Older or newer terms]